0

Principles of Design: Patterned Portfolios

I promised more pictures and this week I believe I have fulfilled that promise! Before we get to the AMAZING artwork my students produced this week, lets talk about what we learned. We got off the "Elements of Art Bus" and hopped onto the "Principles of Design Bus."

This week we learned about. . .

Don't you just love those pattern cards!? I think it really helped my students understand that you can make patterns out of the elements we have been learning about: shapes, lines and color (I didn't use color in my examples because my 3rd graders could use my examples. It isn't until the 4th grade that we ask them to create their own. But of course I want to see my students' creativity, so they had to choose the colors to make my patterns come alive!) So we took our portfolios that we started last week (Their assignment was to write their name, "art portfolio," use the all the colors on the color wheel and incorporate the lines we learned from the previous week. I know, it was a heavy assignment but you can see that they rose to the challenge!)...


                        (Teacher example)

                                                             (2nd grade example...look at all the different types of lines!)

(4th grade example...LOVE the lines and symmetry!)
(5th grade example of a student who changed schools last week. I added this in because she nailed this assignment! She combined the color wheel AND ALL the lines we learned to make the front of her portfolio. SHE ROCKED IT!)

After they created the front of their portfolios, they had to flip it over and create patterns on the back. They could use any colors, but you'll see that one student kept the color wheel theme. Isn't that awesome!?

 
                                      (4th grade example)

                                                               (Remember the previous 2nd grade example? This is the back!)

(This precious example comes from a 1st grader. You can see that she combined the lines we learned last week with the shapes we learned from the first week of school to make her lines of pattern. She is so talented!)

So we had a VERY busy, productive and creative two weeks of school! I am one week behind schedule on posting, so I will try my very hardest to post last weeks project on texture ASAP! A huge thanks to my students for their patience this week on getting this up. You guys are awesome, keep it up! :) 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top